Ralph Johns

iChat Information Pages

 



Sunday, July 17, 2005
 
PostgresSQL
On the Apple iChat Discussion Pages.
Kevin Woon reported this:

You don't actually need to kill PostgreSQL to be able to run iChat. I did some experimenting and found that if you reduce the number of shared-buffers. I had started with 300, but reduced it to 75. After I did that everything worked fine.



And Kaan Erdener replied with:

Ok, I managed to get my iSight working again with iChat while leaving postgres running. Here's what I did.

Before I get started, I'm running postgres 8.0.1 on OS X 10.4.1. My postgresql.conf shows these default values for max_connections and shared_buffers:

max_connections = 40
shared_buffers = 200 # min 16, at least max_connections*2, 8KB each

So, I'm not sure where you saw a value of 300. Was it somewhere else besides postgresql.conf? Or are you running a different version of Postgres? Something else?

I tried descreasing shared_buffers to 80 (the smallest value allowed following the math rule of max_connections*2), but iChat still failed on video chats. This was logged to console output:

2005-07-17 06:37:13.894 iChat[8259] WARNING: Freeze-frame failed: couldn't get local buffer for layer Local!

When I decreased both max_connections and shared_buffers, as below, I found that I am now able to leave postgres running and use iChat with iSight for video chats:

max_connections = 20
shared_buffers = 40 # min 16, at least max_connections*2, 8KB each

Kaan


This might help other with the Postgres problem.

Ralph
Comments:
Glad to hear it helped.
 
I would like to say a Huge Thank You for posting this info.

It totally solved my problem, and i never would have thought about these two things being possibly connected.

I worked with Apple tech support yesterday for several hours trying to diagnose, and had reached the unfortunate point of having them siggest re-installing the OS as the only option left.

This of course would not have fixed the problem either.

Works like a charm now though.

Again, Thanks!

Evan Corbett
Cincinnati, Ohio, US

U R Cool
 
Hu Evan,

Glad it helped.

Ralph
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Copyright © Ralph Johns. Jan 2005
Updated September 2006

Information Block

This site is about iChat from Version 1 through to iChat 4.x.x

It has a mixture of basic info and problem solving help.

The setions below will change for Specifics about info on the page on view

If you find these pages helpful please Donate to help keep them up to date

A set of info about iChat, the Apple Instant Messenger.

About This Page

It's the Blog and it's Archives